|Boston Cream Pie with Orange Rosemary Custard Filling|
Boston Cream Pie is not a pie but it is a round cake, filled with vanilla custard, and topped with chocolate ganache. This Boston Cream Pie is not an original one. It is one with a twist. Instead of a vanilla cake, I made an orange flavor cake. I also add orange flavoring to the chocolate ganache frosting. I was especially intrigued with the idea of 'Orange Rosemary Custard' filling. Is it going to be good? I just got to try it. It was delicious! DH LOVES this cake (he is the one with a sweet tooth). He was surprised about the rosemary adding a unique flavor to the cake. He said, "It's just a hint of rosemary!" It really makes this cake unique and elegant.
To make the custard filling I used Bird's Imported English Dessert Mix and then add Tofutti Better than Sour Cream to make it more creamy. I also used triple sec such as Cointreau orange liqueur, orange flavor extract, and fresh orange peels for the citrus flavoring. Fresh rosemary is very strong and 1 sprig of it was enough to permeate the custard filling.
|Ingredients used to make custard and ganache (top left, clockwise): Bird's Imported English Dessert Mix, fresh orange, Tofutti Better than Sour Cream, Fresh Rosemary sprigs, Orange Extract, triple sec (Cointreau), vegan chocolate chips.|
Vegan Orange Genoise Cake
Makes 3 layers of 9-inch cakes
I made Bryanna's Vegan Lemon Genoise Cake. I followed the 1 1/2 recipe to make 3 layers of 9-inch cake (although the original recipe: 2 layers, should be fine, too). I changed the flavor to orange by adding fresh grated orange rind of a large orange instead of the lemon rind. I used white vinegar instead of lemon juice. I also used orange extract instead of the lemon extract.
Vegan Orange Rosemary Custard Filling
Makes about 3 cups
2 1/2 cups soy milk
1/2 cup soy creamer
1 sprig fresh rosemary
3 - 4 slices fresh orange rinds, each 3-inches long
5 Tbsp. sugar
2 pkgs/sachets Bird's Imported English Dessert Mix
1/2 cup Tofutti Better Than Sour Cream
1 Tbsp. grated orange rinds
1 tsp. orange flavor extract
2 Tbsp. triple sec liqueur
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a medium pot (without the sour cream and Imported English Dessert Mix).
- Heat until milk started to boil and sugar is dissolved. Turn down heat to simmer and let it simmered for 10 minutes.
- Use a strainer, strain the flavored hot milk to remove the rosemary and rinds. Let it cool.
- Combine Bird's Dessert Mix and the flavored cooled milk. Heat and stir until pudding is thickened. Let it boil for 2-3 minutes. Take it off heat. Let it cool in the fridge.
- Add the additional flavoring: orange rinds, extract, and liqueur.
- Add sour cream and combine well. You may use a hand mixer to mix it really well and creamy. Set it aside in the fridge until it is time to assemble the cake.
Assembling the cake:
- Put a layer of genoise cake on a cake stand.
- Add 1/2 of vegan orange rosemary custard filling. Spread it evenly.
- Add another layer of genoise cake. Then add the other half of the custard filling and spread it evenly.
- Add the final layer of genoise cake. Set it aside in the fridge for at least half an hour before frosting.
Orange Flavored Chocolate Ganache
11-12 oz good quality vegan chocolate chips
6-7 Tbsp. soy creamer
2 Tbsp. triple sec liqueur
2 tsp. orange flavor extract
Optional: grated orange rinds ( 1 tsp.)
- Just before the cake is ready to be frosted (after cake was assembled and sat in the fridge), in a double boiler, melt chocolate.
- Start to add 1 tablespoon at a time of soy creamer and alternate with liqueur and orange extract until chocolate becomes a pourable sauce.
- Pour chocolate ganache onto assembled cake and spread it evenly on top and sides of the cake.