|Smokey Roasted Buffalo Cauliflower|
If you like spicy hot snacks, this snack is for you. This post was inspired by Roasted Buffalo Cauliflower from a new vegetarian cafe in Orange, CA: Meads Green Door. I had a Taco Salad for lunch at this restaurant which contain greens, black beans, corn, green olives, roasted pumpkin seeds, avocado, tomato, grilled soy chicken (Gardein, I think), and roasted buffalo cauliflower with chipotle ranch dressing. I decided to create it at home: Smokey Roasted Buffalo Cauliflower. Oh yeah!
It was delicious! I should have served this as a Super Bowl snack but, oh well that was 2 weeks ago, I still enjoyed it after Super Bowl. This dish is best serve immediately when it is still hot. However, when it is cold, it's great for salad. Therefore, I also made the salad and called it Roasted Buffalo Cauliflower salad with vegan ranch dressing. The star was the roasted cauliflower so I put it in the middle of the bowl.
It is really simple to do. I used this hot pepper sauce: Trader Joe's Jalapeno Pepper Hot Sauce but you can use other red hot sauce suitable for hot buffalo wings. I also used smoked paprika and smoked salt (Alderwood Smoked Salt).
There are a lot of other buffalo cauliflower recipe in the Internet but most of them are deep fried. This recipe is ligher since it is roasted and I prefer it this way. I also did some experiment to incorporate panko breading sprinkled onto the marinated cauliflower. The results will produce some crunchy-spicy panko breading morsels which are so delicious. Either preparation is good whether it is with or without the panko breading although the one without panko breading is more suitable for the salad below.
|This roasted cauliflower has crunchy-spicy panko breading morsels on it.|
Smokey Spicy Roasted Buffalo Cauliflower
Serve 6-8 as snacks
6 cups cauliflower large chunks (about 1 large cauliflower)
3 Tbsp. Safflower Oil
3 Tbsp. Hot Pepper Sauce
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. smoked paprika
1 1/2 tsp. finely minced garlic
1/2 tsp. smoked salt
Optional: 1 cup panko breading
Vegan Ranch salad dressing
- Preheat oven to 425-450 F, depending on how hot your oven is. Mine is not too hot so I used 450 F and put it in convection roast setting if you have one.
- Combine oil, hot pepper sauce, sugar, smoked paprika, minced garlic, and smoked salt in a small bowl.
- Put cauliflower florets in a large bowl and drizzle with hot sauce mixture. Combine thoroughly.
- If using panko breading, sprinkle the panko and if possible let them stick to the marinated florets. Not all breading will stick to the cauliflower.
- Prepare a large cookie sheet with parchment paper or silpat. Spread cauliflower mixture onto the cookie sheet.
- Roast for 20 minutes, stir and flip the florets, and roast about 10-15 minutes longer until the cauliflower is cooked but still firm.
- Serve IMMEDIATELY or store in a container for salad when it is cold.
|Cauliflower combined with spicy sauce before they are roasted.|
Roasted Buffalo Cauliflower Salad
Serve 6-8 as a meal
Cold roasted buffalo cauliflower above
6 cups of greens (can be cut up romaine lettuce, packaged spring mix, arugula, herb mix, etc.)
2 tomatoes, chopped
1 cup each chopped celery and carrots
1 can whole kernel sweet corn, drained
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can green olives, drained and sliced into 2
2 cups gardein chicken or baked tofu cubes
1-2 avocado, sliced
1 cup roasted pumpkin seeds
Tortilla chips, optional
Vegan Ranch Dressing or Vegan Creamy Garlic Dressing (store bought or home made)
My favorite is Follow Your Heart brand.
- Arrange greens in a large salad bowl.
- Add all the ingredients on top and arrange as pictured below. If using panko breading, sprinkle the crunchy, spicy, roasted panko morsels over the salad.
- Drizzle with dressing. Toss.
- Add sliced avocado and sprinkle with roasted pumpkin seeds just before eating. Serve with tortilla chips to scoop salad.
|Roasted Buffalo Cauliflower Salad with Vegan Ranch Dressing (sliced avocado and roasted pepitas are added later just before eating).|